Friday, January 30, 2015

The Princess (3)

Hi all,
thank you for your patience and sticking around.
Since the last update I finished the little fire-lizards and sculpted their wings.
The wing-skin was done with Pro-Create as it is less sticky and easier to roll out flat.
Then I used a bit of liquid GreenStuff to fix and smooth details I wasn't pleased with.
The pieces ready to be primed
And the Princess for the first time in one color :)
I really like the way she turned out.
I decided to start rather anti-climatic with the floor...
Initially the inlay in the marble floor were sandy colored.
But I feel the more colorful red and blue suits the scene better.
The little balls I have scattered across the floor will (hopefully) be little light globes that shed additional light.
Since the throne will be mostly golden I started to apply the base coat.
I hate yellow-based colors.
I needed 4 coats to get a halfway decent color.
The central section of the wing will be made of blue gems.
And the central piece will be a huge red gem.
Next were the cushions and little bands on the seat and armrest
With the Princess on the throne
Next were details to the gold. Scales for the backrest and feathery details to the wings
That was an evening all by itself - cramped fingers and tired eyes...
Then I applied of sepia wash to even the golden colors
The floor got some dark washes and shadows to start the light effects of the little globes
Seems to work :)
Next evening I did the central gem and started the blue wing gems.
Somehow I always manage to clutter my desk and limit my working space to an absolute minimum
Last night I completed the blue gems.
So this is how she looks as of this morning.
I hope you like today's update and I look forward to your comments, feedback and suggestions.
P.S.: Next week I will be on a workshop in Philly - so no work for a whole week.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Princess (2)

Hi all,
thank you for your feedback!
I'm glad to see you're still with me.
Since the last post I actually worked a lot on this model, but mostly detail, so there's almost nothing to be seen.
I started by working some more on the Princess' crown, adding a little dragon head to it.
Next I decided to add some carpets to the floor.
Making sure it has a good structure and fringes.
The one Wher also got a collar.
I also created two furry rugs for the floor.
Lots of different structures for the floor.
Here you can also see the start of the "Fire-Lizard" sculpts.
I also started to detail the paws of the Wher.
Another important step was the creation of the skirt
As mentioned earlier I want it to look sexy.
For the shins I created dragon-style ornaments.
and I sculpted some lashes for the Princess.
One of the Fire-Lizards
After taking this image, I decided to re-work the wings of the first two lizards.
And here is the scene as of last night, with the lizards new wings started (and held in place with transparent sticky tape)
I hope you like this update and I look forward to your comments, feedback and suggestions.
Thank you for reading.