Monday, April 29, 2013

The Victors (5)

Hi all,
I hope you had a nice weekend.
I had a very productive and busy weekend.

Based on your feedback I took the Commissar apart again and looked for better arms and poses.
 
One possible option is the arm with the cane form the Command Squad sprue.
 
Looks rather natural.
 
Another option was this sword hand from the Forgeworld Tallarn sprue (but it's a right hand)
 
I finally settled on the sword and hand from the mechanical arm out of the IG Command Squad sprue.
 
Satisfied with the pose I added more ornaments.
 
 
 
And then the crew was ready for priming and painting!
 
I started with the road as this piece determines the light and most of the situation of the scene.
 
After the initial coat with (Vallejo) Khaki, I added streaks of Terracotta and Green.
 
The ornaments were painted in Terracotta, Dwarf Bronze, and Bubonic Brown.
 
Time for washes!
 
I then positioned the tank and the Ork to determine the shadows.
 
While the troopers received their first licks of paint, you can see the road in the background with the shadows of the tank, gun barrel and foot soldiers.
 
Since I goofed up the flag while priming, I decided to start with the flag.
 
It took me most of Saturday afternoon and night to do the flag
 
Especially since I had to do both sides.
 
But I'm very pleased with the result.

Sunday saw detail work on the troopers.
Base colors applied,
 
and ready for washes.
 
 

The first to be completed was the tank commander
 
"Hey Bruce!"
 
 
Next was the loader.
 
 
And finally I completed the bow gunner.
 
 
I hope I can make more progress today.
What do you think?
Cheers
Klaus